Our hope for each of our Alpha House moms and their children is that they will receive the support and gain the skills they need to succeed when they leave Alpha House. We realize that a lavish holiday here at Alpha House sets up unrealistic expectations that cannot possibly be met when the moms move out on their own. And like every family, we try to focus on the true spirit of the holidays.
To help achieve this goal, we use the Alpha Angel program as a way to provide gifts to our families while teaching the moms valuable life skills in the process. The Alpha Angels program is designed to empower each mom to provide a meaningful holiday experience for her family. Our moms can learn how to manage a budget, set priorities and establish reasonable expectations for their children during the holidays. Besides requesting donations towards holiday gifts, we encourage volunteers to help our families decorate, bake cookies, make ornaments or a number of other fun projects.
Alpha Angel Holiday Gift Giving Program
For the moms: We will provide you with a wish list that was completed by an Alpha House of Tampa mom with her gift preferences. We ask that you purchase items from the list within a total budget of $100 per mom.
For the children: We will provide you with the name and age of a child and ask that you purchase a small gift (under $25) and provide $50 in Target gift cards so that the child’s mother can shop for the child, perhaps for the first time ever. Alpha House staff will help the moms shop within the budget of $50 per child to develop the money management skills they will need when they leave Alpha House of Tampa.
If you would like to be a part of the Alpha Angels program and are unable to do the shopping yourself, we welcome donations of gift cards in the amount of $25 or lessfrom: Target, Wal-Mart, Sears, JCPenney, Aeropostal, Claire’, Starbucks, Panera or Papa John’s Pizza.
A cash donation to Alpha House of Tampa supports our work during the holidays and throughout the year. Donate online at www.alphahouseoftampa.org or mail your tax-deductible contribution to: Alpha Angels, Alpha House of Tampa, 201 S. Tampania Avenue, Tampa, FL 33609. Questions? Please call (813) 875-2024.
Holiday Volunteer Opportunities for Groups or Organizations
Outlined below are some opportunities for your business, group or organization during the holidays:
- Host a holiday decorating party for one of our resident centers, maternity ward or apartment homes.
- Host a cookie baking/decorating party*
- Host an ornament making/decorating party*
- Host a craft project to make frames for photos with Santa*
- Sponsor a fundraising drive for AMC gift cards for a holiday outing to the movies*
- Sponsor and chaperone a trip to see snowfall and lights display at Chik Fil-A on Waters Avenue (to include Chik-Fil-A meals for families)
- Sponsor and chaperone outing to Santa Fest Holiday Parade
- Host a New Year’s Eve “Un-Decorating” party – what goes up must come down!
- Host Alpha House of Tampa New Year’s Eve Celebration including decorations, hats, noise makers, food/drinks, and entertainment
- *Additional volunteers for babysitting during these activities may be helpful.
Volunteers will work under the supervision and direction of Alpha House of Tampa staff at all events and activities where clients are present, for the privacy and security of volunteers, residents and staff. Volunteers will be asked to sign a volunteer agreement and a confidentiality agreement.
Contact: Stacey Graham, Alpha Angels Committee Chair, at firstname.lastname@example.org